Sunday, May 07, 2006

Tiptoe through the Tulips...

Ok, I know it has been far too long since my last post, but winter (garden-wise) was pretty uneventful. I meant to post some snowy pictures but I was far too lazy and unmotivated. Plus, Husband bought one of those huge blow-up snow globes with a snowman and "blowing" snow inside. I was so appalled I couldn't even look outside at my blighted landscape. During the day the grinning snowman was a heap of crumpled plastic marring the pristine lines of my carefully plotted beds. Every night it inflated at 8 PM sharp and I would fall asleep to the jet engine drone of the motor outside our bedroom window. And of course Husband positioned this monstrosity as close as possible to the house of our much-abused neighbors. Christmas cheer all around!

But anyway, I'm quite pleased with how my "mound of dirt" turned out. It seemed to take forever to fully blossom, but these flowers have been giving us an attractive show for several weeks now. So, the squirrels did not triumph in the end... *evil snicker*


Tulips!!!

I'll post more photos soon. Our grass is coming along nicely so far.

Plans for this year:

  • Re-do the awful overgrown mess by the side of the driveway. I've already started to "hoe" out all of the violets and weeds and it is taking a very long time. I'm going to make this bed much smaller, and easier to maintain! Plus I will add more of our infamous sparkly rocks.

  • Cut down major trees in the backyard. It pains me to do this as many are VERY old and VERY large, but we had a tree fall on the house last Fall and it was not fun. Many of these trees are starting to die, and it will ultimately be cheaper to have them all taken down at once. Plus I want to re-do the backyard landscaping some day and it would be silly to do so when we know these trees will have to eventually come down. Heavy cranes will be involved, extreme messiness will ensue. But I do love trees, honest!

  • Add a dwarf weeping cherry near the front of the house and a few nice shrubberies surrounding it. Seee???



Back to the hoeing now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home